|The Catholic Herald
The Catholic Herald is the official newspaper of the Diocese of Madison. Its purpose is to inform and educate people of the Diocese through communications that proclaim Gospel values, report the news, and comment on issues as they pertain to the mission of the Catholic Church, which is to bring all in Jesus Christ to the Father.
Diocese of Madison sees 'Jesus in disguise'
By Susanna Herro
For the Catholic Herald
The Lenten poster for Catholic Relief Services says, "Through the eyes of faith, the starving child, the believer in jail, and the woman without clean water or health care are not issues, but Jesus in disguise." Blessed Mother Theresa frequently mentioned seeing the people she served as "Jesus in disguise."
The people of the Diocese of Madison have their eyes and hearts open to see through disguises! The generous hearts of people set a new record of raising $115,887.46 in last year's Catholic Relief Services (CRS) collection, a whopping 80 percent more than the previous year. The Office of National Collections took notice and presented an award to Susanna Herro, for the diocese, at the Catholic Social Ministries Gathering, in Washington, D.C. in February.
Operation Rice Bowl, the humble Lenten project where cardboard is folded into a small "rice bowl" to accept Lenten sacrifices, is also part of CRS. People are encouraged to pray, fast, learn about other countries (www.crs.org), and to give of their bounty. While 75 percent of this generous outpouring alleviates hunger in other countries, the remaining 25 percent goes to our neighbors within the 11 counties of our diocese.
Mobile food pantry
A great partnership has developed between the Catholic Charities, Second Harvest, and the Office of Justice and Pastoral Outreach. Catholic Charities provides a Mobile Food Pantry to six parishes in the diocese. Each parish provides volunteers one day a month to help distribute the food, but the parish does not need to fundraise, purchase, or store food. All that is taken care of by Catholic Charities and Second Harvest.
Fr. Bart Timmerman is pastor of St. Mary Parish, Bloomington, and St. John Parish, Patch Grove, where he now runs the largest mobile food pantry in Grant County. He said, "It was hard to get started because none of us had run a food pantry before. But through lots of
discussion, we decided on where, when, and how. We only served 13 people the first time, but now we're serving over 70 families." Full story ...
|News & Features:
He is Risen: Special Easter section
Death of archbishop an 'act
of inhuman violence'
Pope to gather with 200 religious leaders
The Bottom Line
by Antoinette Bosco --
Joyful traditions inspired by Easter
by Fr. John Dietzen --
Using the Bible as a 'yardstick'
The Pope Speaks
by Pope Benedict XVI --
Boethius and Cassiodorus
Subscribe to print edition
|Future special sections:
Retreat Centers: Apr. 10, 2008
Senior Focus: Apr. 17, 2008
Call 608-821-3070 to advertise
Divine Mercy Sunday celebrations
Information on Divine Mercy Sunday
The Second Sunday of Easter was given the title of "Divine Mercy Sunday" in the year 2000 by Pope John Paul II when he canonized St. Faustina. This year Divine Mercy Sunday is observed on March 30.
The Mass readings for the Second Sunday of Easter focus on God's mercy. Many Catholics observe Divine Mercy Sunday by praying the Chaplet of the Divine Mercy, praying before a Divine Mercy image, and completing a Divine Mercy novena, devotions based on St. Faustina's private visions. Many also receive the Sacraments of Penance and the Eucharist in Mass, two of the steps needed in order to obtain the plenary indulgence associated with Divine Mercy Sunday.
More information on Divine Mercy Sunday and the plenary indulgence associated with it can be found on the Vatican's Web site at www.vatican.va/roman_curia/tribunals/apost_penit/
documents/rc_trib_appen_doc_20020629_decree-ii_en.html or at www.DivineMercySunday.com
CLINTON -- St. Stephen Parish, 716 ShuLar Ln., will celebrate Divine Mercy Sunday with Adoration, Benediction, and Confession at 6 p.m. on Sunday, March 30.
DARLINGTON -- Holy Rosary Parish, 104 E. Harriet St., will have Eucharistic Adoration and Confession from 9 to 9:30 a.m. on Divine Mercy Sunday, March 30. Full story ...