MADISON — The Catholic Multicultural Center (CMC), located at 1862 Beld St., off Park St. on Madison’s south side, will be re-opened Monday, Aug. 3, with the following programs:
• Free Meal Program: evening meals, served in a pleasant dining room to encourage community fellowship Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays, and the last Tuesday and Thursday of every month, 4 to 5 p.m.
• Food Pantry: serving 70 to 80 families each week, open Tuesdays from 2:30 to 4 p.m. with sign-in starting at 1 p.m., beginning Tuesday, Aug. 4.
• Health Program: addressing participants’ health needs through blood pressure checks, free flu shots, etc., the parish nurse will be available starting August 3 on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays from 3 to 5 p.m.
• Bilingual Counselor: available through Catholic Charities, a bilingual counselor will be available Tuesdays beginning August 4 for both individual and group counseling.
• Mass: Mass in English will be offered Saturday mornings at 8 a.m.; Mass in Spanish will be offered on Wednesdays at 12 noon.
• Eucharistic Adoration: Once a month on Wednesdays.
Beginning in the fall with the new school year, the center will also offer: computer classes and additional classes; free child care during classes for enrolled participants; homework and tutorial programs; English as a Second Language (ESL) Classes, with professional teachers from Madison Area Literacy Network and CMC volunteers; translation services to assist with a variety of tasks including bills, acquiring services, job applications, etc.; Graduate Equivalency Degree (GED) Classes; and job counseling to assist participants with applications, finding jobs, and translation between prospective employees and employers as needed.
The center was closed by the Diocese of Madison on May 27 due to budget cuts. But after grassroots fundraising, Our Lady Queen of Peace Parish in Madison announced the center’s re-opening and the re-hiring of four former employees: CMC Director Andrew Russell, Steve Maurice, Antonio Quintanilla, and Lilliam Post.
Our Lady Queen of Peace Parish is continuing to fundraise for the center’s continued sustainability and has set up a restricted account for the CMC. Interested persons can make a check out to the Catholic Multicultural Center and send it to: Our Lady Queen of Peace Parish, 401 S. Owen Dr., Madison, WI 53711.
The parish extended thanks to all who have donated financially and offered volunteer help.