MADISON -- As promised in last week’s Catholic Herald, here is a more complete timeline for the upcoming “Fortnight for Freedom” being observed throughout our nation from June 21 to July 4. This will serve as a time of prayer, education, and action in support of, and witness to, religious freedom.
In preparation for the “Fortnight”: Public Eucharist processions are encouraged on the Solemnity of Corpus Christi in your parish, or join with the Cathedral Parish or neighboring parish.
Sunday, June 10
Cathedral Corpus Christi Procession
Start Time: At the conclusion of the Bishop Robert C. Morlino’s 11 a.m. Stational Mass (roughly 12:15 p.m.)
Start Place: St. Patrick Church, 404 E. Main St., Madison
Route: From St. Patrick Church up Main St. to the State Capitol, turning on Carroll St. (stopping at State St. corner/steps, where some brief remarks will be offered). The procession will then continue onto State St., turning on Johnson St. and conclude with Benediction at Holy Redeemer Church
End Place: Holy Redeemer Church, 120 W. Johnson St.
Thursday, June 21 — “Fortnight for Freedom” begins
Rosary Rally at State Capitol, 7 p.m. and continuing every Thursday through November 1
Thursday, June 21, to Friday, June 29
Novena to St. Thomas More and St. John Fisher, available on diocesan Web site at www.madisondiocese.org
Friday, June 22
The Feast of St. Thomas More (St. Thomas More Society Event)
Mass — 12:10 p.m., Celebrated by Bishop Robert C. Morlino at St. Patrick Church, Madison
Invited Lunch — 1 p.m.
Talk — 1:30 p.m., Bishop Paul Swain, “On Religious Liberty”
Tuesday, June 26, to Wednesday, July 4
Novena to the First Martyrs of Rome, available on diocesan Web at site www.madisondiocese.org
Thursday, June 28
Rosary Rally at State Capitol, 7 p.m.
Friday, June 29
Priestly Ordinations — Official Diocesan Mass Observing the “Fortnight for Freedom”
St. Maria Goretti Church, 5313 Flad Ave., Madison, at 7:30 p.m.
Other Suggested Observances:
Have 24-hour Adoration in your parish or cluster. Some have already scheduled this for:
• Thursday, June 21, to Friday, June 22
• Thursday, June 28, to Friday, June 29
• Tuesday, July 3, to Wednesday, July 4
- Attend Mass on the 4th of July, to conclude the “Fortnight” in your parish.
- Include the St. Michael Prayer at the conclusion of every Mass.
- Pray for the courage for our priests and bishops.
- Read and study the bishops’ document, Forming Consciences for Faithful Citizenship.
- Have a social function at your parish, with neighboring parish or cluster, celebrating religious freedom.
- Fast and pray for the upholding of our First Amendment Right to Religious Freedom.
A complete list of resources, prayers, bulletin items, updates, and other information regarding advocacy and action for parishes and individuals is available on the diocesan Web site at www.madisondiocese.org