MADISON — The Office of Worship is sponsoring eight workshops on the New Roman Missal that are open to all people of the Diocese.
A new Roman Missal was published by Pope John Paul II on Holy Thursday, 2000. Since all of the Church’s books are first published in Latin, time was needed to translate into the various languages, including English.
These changes affect some of the parts regularly recited or sung by the people and they will go into effect in all of the dioceses of the United States on the First Sunday of Advent, Nov. 27, 2011.
In preparation for this, Dr. Patrick Gorman, director of the Diocesan Office of Worship, will lead 90-minute workshops throughout the diocese. These workshops are designed for “the person in the pew,” and should be especially helpful to parish council and liturgy committee members, liturgical ministers, choir members, catechists, and teachers.
Participants will learn “the what, the why, and the how” of the changes that will take place and consider how the liturgy both expresses and shapes the faith of Catholics. Each participant will receive a copy of the booklet Understanding the Revised Mass Texts by Fr. Paul Turner and a card with many of the responses on it.
The workshops currently scheduled are:
- Monday, May 23, from 7 to 8:30 p.m., at Our Lady of the Assumption Parish, Beloit
- Tuesday, June 7, from 7 to 8:30 p.m., at St. Maria Goretti Parish, Madison
- Saturday, June 25, from 9 to 10:30 a.m., at St. Mary Parish, Platteville
- Tuesday, July 19, from 10 to 11:30 a.m., at the Bishop O’Connor Center, Madison
- Tuesday, July 19, from 7 to 8:30 p.m., at Sacred Hearts Parish, Sun Prairie
- Wednesday, July 20, from 7 to 8:30 p.m., at St. John Vianney Parish, Janesville
- Thursday, July 21, from 7 to 8:30 p.m., at St. Joseph Parish, Baraboo
- Wednesday, Aug. 3, from 7 to 8:30 p.m., at St. Henry Parish, Watertown
All sites are wheelchair accessible. Contact the Office of Worship if additional needs are required. In case of severe weather, go to www.madisondiocese.org/romanmissal for more information.
The workshops are free, but participants are asked to register at least one week before the desired workshop so that there is enough material at each site. Register by e-mailing
or call the Office of Worship at 608-821-3080. Include name, parish name, and which workshop attending.