BELOIT -- In 1911, when St. Jude Parish was only three years old, the well-respected founding pastor, Fr. Joseph Hanz, organized the Senior Ladies Guild, one of three such organizations he formed within the parish.
One hundred years later, its name now changed to the Marian Guild Council of Catholic Women, the group continues to be a constant force offering dedicated service to the parish. It is one of the oldest continuously serving women's groups in the diocese.
"Celebrating 100 Years of Faith and Service" is the theme for the Marian Guild CCW celebration to be held on Tuesday, May 10, beginning with Mass at 5 p.m., celebrated by Fr. Jerome Mathais Walsh O.P., Madison.
A recognition ceremony honoring all past presidents of the Marian Guild is planned followed by installation of officers for the next year. At 6 p.m., a celebration dinner will be served in Marian Hall. Father Walsh will speak on "Women In The Bible."
All women, past and present members of St. Jude Parish, are invited. For reservations, call Gloria Meyer at 608-362-3889.
Father Walsh is the nephew of parishioner Pat Kenucane, who is a lifetime member of St. Jude Parish and the Marian Guild. Kenucane is Father Walsh's only living aunt. His parents were married at St. Jude in 1925. His brother Jim Walsh and family are also St. Jude members.
Father Walsh was ordained to the priesthood in 1958. His first assignment was as a missionary in Nigeria, West Africa, where he served until 1976. He has served as a pastor in Minneapolis and as director of the National Shrine to St. Jude in Chicago. He has been semi-retired since 2005.
Current Marian Guild officers include: president, Carolyn Kokity; vice president, Gloria Meyer; secretary, Rose Wilson; treasurer; Pat Hauser; and past president, Sarajane Crave. St. Jude Pastor Fr. John Hedrick is spiritual director.
According to a history Kenucane wrote, from its beginning until the present, "our focus remains the same -- service and concern for those less fortunate, reaching beyond our borders."
The Marian Guild continues to be a cooperative group of dedicated women. Among numerous activities, the Guild has provided funds for altar supplies, offered service to the parish, served funeral lunches, provided funding to maintain the church kitchen and numerous parish needs, and supports pro-life activities.